TOLEDO SAILING CLUB
In 1941, four young fellows ranging in age from 15 to 16, Jim Shudel, Bob Rieker, Paul Patrick, and Jim Chamberlin started to hand around the Walbridge Park area and became interested in sailing. The next year, they wanted to enter a race at Put-in-Bay but were turned down because they were not affiliated with a boat club. They inquired at Maumee River yacht Club, but at first were told that they had to be members to enter under their name. Then Nor Turner, who had befriended them, gave them a membership card so they could enter the race. So, with their two 12 Nipper sailboats and a membership card from MRYC, they entered their 1st race at Put-in-Bay, and one of the boats, skippered by Jim Shudel, named the "AMOEBA" (for a small single cell organism) came in 2nd. This was to be the flag ship of the Toledo Sailing Club.
They formally formed the Toledo Sailing Club in 1942 and met in the building known as Winzenreids, (Otts or Weis). The list of "Founders" follows: Jim Chamberlin, Charles Dyson, Richard Patrick, Bob Rieker, Jim Shudel, Howard Schutt, Ed Winzenried, Howard Winzenried.
The Constitution By-laws and House Rules were written and approved effective January 1, 1943. Four of the original members of TSC went into service this year (WWII). Bob Rieker came back into the club when he returned, and is still a member. The club went from sailing Nippers to Lightenings, Star Boats, Interlakes, and Rebels. Jim Shudel designed the first TSC Burgee. TSC was taken into I-LYA at a meeting and dinner held at the Hotel Hollenden on April 3, 1943.
The first clubhouse was built during the 1945-1950 period. This was done entirely by the hands of members. Fred Doriot and his brother John, put in the clubs first heating system. Also, the first power boats were allowed in the club, owned by then Commodore Bethel Moore and John Moran.
The first full fledged woman member, Alma Cameron came aboard and application for a liquor license began in the 19512-1955 time frame.
From 1956-1960, the first bar room was completed with all work being done by members of TSC, under the watchful eyes of Duane Nagel and Joe Schmuhl. Joe and Dick miller constructed the brick columns on both sides of the bar. The windows for this bar room were installed by Fred Doriot. After much communication, the liquor license was obtained. Building additions included the restrooms, furnace room, coat closet, the room behind the cooler and the retaining wall along side of Tommys room. The iron steps were actually fire escape steps. It was also around this time that the shed, which used to sit on the hill, was torn down. Some people think there used to be a patio on the hill, but this was actually the foundation for the shed. The 1st seawall was built.
During the 1961-1965 years, the 10 front addition in the main room was added and the garage was built in the parking lot. In 1964, the Ladies Auxiliary commissioned Joe Schmuhl to build a fireplace in the main room where previously a window existed. Twenty-eight (28) foot boats were legal in 1965. The new iron seawall was a major project from 1966-1970. At this time, the present docks were designed by then Commodore Gene Webb and Dock master Dick Burkett.
The new cement sidewalk was laid in 1974 by Jim McLaughlin and crew. The hydroplane races were held from the city marina, and as a result of this event, the trees on the island across from the club were cut to afford a better view of the races. This drew enormous protests from environmentalists in the area. The first Widow Member was accepted, Joan Nagel, and the club initiated the Duane Nagel Memorial Trophy. It is awarded at Regatta every year. 1976 was the year the docks were red, white, and blue with different members responsible for painting decorated boards spaced every so often in patterns to celebrate the Bi-Centennial year of the USA. This was under the direction of Jim Boyle, Dockmaster.
The bar was remodeled again in Jan. 1979 when Harry Prue was Chairman of the Planning Committee. Annual club dues changed fro, $25.00 to $52.00 per year. The new flagpole was also erected in 1979 to replace the former pole blown down in a storm. Sailfun classes started under the direction of Larry Gildsorf and were very well attended for quite a few years. TSC had a fleet of small sailboats, and an Interlake.
1981-1991 was a time for many new theme parties; Nobodys Wedding, Taco Margy Party, Commodore Roast, and the "98 Dollar Beauty Contest" (a Friday night Regatta party). The iron steps were replaced with the present wooden ones while Dick Burkett was Chairman of the Planning Committee. The new work raft and aluminum sideloaders were purchased while Dale Woods was Dockmaster. It was voted to allow 30 boats to be permanently docked at the club. The deck was built in 1989. In a joint project coordinated by a committee from the Ladies Auxiliary and aided by financial assistance restroom were completely redecorated. New floor was laid in the main meeting room and new carpeting replaced in the bar room. All work was done by the committee members, their spouses, and numerous club members.
The updated fire system was put in at the request of the City of Toledo, which was a major task.
The 90-91 Commodores Ball (Ken Zoltanski) was so well attended that we had to hold it in a hall other than the club. The childrens play yard was renovated, with the money coming from special projects put on by the Ladies Auxiliary, with much sweat and blisters from many of the men in the club, and the new TSC design was worked into the hill. The new lease had been negotiated with the City of Toledo, with the addition of 140 more property, making room for 12 more floating docks.
Tidbit: The stone that is presently under the deck was originally part of the retaining walls located in Walbridge Park and built in the 1930s by the WPA.
Update April 2019 by PC Paul Borton
In 1997 we added the Lobster Fest to the list of major parties which is still running with great success.
In 2000 Hank Pauly started a fund raiser of selling patio blocks placed in front of the club. A number of club members purchased the blocks with their names engraved in the blocks. The sale of the blocks continues today.
In 2002 we replaced the old aluminum side loader docks with new steel floating docks. This greatly reduced the time required to install and remove docks. In 2004 we received a grant from the State of Ohio to install a pump out station.
In 2010PC Mike Schmuhl organized the remolding of the club interior with a new paint and window blinds. The kitchen was also undated with a new stove and oven.
In 2011 Toledo Sailing Club purchased the property from the City of Toledo which included all the buildings. We then in 2014 replaced the old floating docks at the end of the main docks with the new steel floaters.
The Black Swamp Rowing Club joined TSC in 2015 and hold all their practices on the Maumee River in front of the club.
In 2015 the patio was determined in need of serious repair and thus the Home Coming was held in the lower parking lot of the zoo. A committee was appointed to plan the design and construction of a new patio. In 2016 the old patios were removed and a new deck was added making it the same level as the patio in front of the main entrance of the club. The stairs were also redesigned making two landings. This was accomplished under the direction of Ryan Kurtz.
In 2017 we sold the tool trailer and built the addition to the shed on the main dock for storing all the tools and equipment.